Sophia Miller and her Descendants, GA and Liberia
by Eric Jackson
Sophia Miller is my 4th great grandmother. I am descended from her son John Miller.
- Oral History from Majorie Woods states that she was sold into slavery in Savannah Georgia.
- In 1850 Sophia Miller and her family were listed as freed blacks on the Lowndes County, Georgia Census. They live in the area of Hahira, Georgia
- Sophia's Children are John, Aaron, Jake (Jack), and Amanda
- In 1860 they are listed on the Thomasville, Georgia, Freedmen registery. Most of Sophia's family move backd to Lowndes County, Georgia.
- In 1863 John and Aaron Miller purchase 490 acres of land with the help of a guardian.
- In 1872, due to much local unrest, Aaron Miller and his family immigrate to Liberia Africa. Aaron dies in Liberia leaving his brother John as the administrator of the estate.
- John Miller's sons accumulate a great deal of land bordering the Little River. Augustus (500 acres) and Isaac (490 acres). Isaac lost his land in the 1920's due to a law suit and a good portion of Augustus' land was sold in 1950's.
Copyright 2008 The University of South Florida and The Africana Heritage Project. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. For more information, contact the Africana Heritage Project via e-mail.